Tennis and cars represent the sweet spots in my life and here is my journey incorporating the two.


Monday, January 4, 2010

Holiday Moments




I had looked forward to my great escape (by car, of course) from Atlanta, GA to North Carolina. Honestly, I was ready for an escape from the year 2009. Christmas vacation was just a great excuse to shut down operations early and coast into the New Year. Say no more, I shut it down and headed home where I spent the week driving Ms. Daisy and Morgan Freeman, among other things. Despite playing chauffeur, I had a ball and spent time with my parents. The holidays are over and I'm still struggling to get over them. Here it is almost a week after my return home and my mind is still not thinking in automotive related terms. Because my mind hasn't quite made it out of 1st gear, and there really isn't much going on in the automotive world that I wanted to talk about today, I thought I would share a few of my holiday moments.

  1. I almost didn't make it out of Atlanta (twice). First, someone's great grandmother (I suppose) almost caused me to get run down by an 18 wheeler. Second, a big, barreling Buick decided he liked the space I occupied in my lane better. Big, barreling Buick vs. Honda Civic = Buick victory. I bailed on that lane, thankfully, no one was beside me….. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord – TWICE!!!
  2. Realizing that every highway through Charlotte must run like it's under a yellow caution flag at the Charlotte Motor Speedway…. Get the heck on up the road!!!
  3. Having each parent tag team to call me almost hourly asking, "Are you there yet?"…. Shouldn't this only happen if I have kids inside my vehicle??!!!
  4. Ripping across I-540 through Raleigh, NC at 85 mph with no cops in sight….. Thank God, otherwise, I'd have no license right now.
  5. Never paying for a thing. Home is a real money saver for me…. I may as well have hit the lottery.
  6. Revoking the driving privileges of my mother (Ms. Daisy) and my father (Morgan Freeman)…. They drove too slowly for me.
  7. My father suggesting that since I'm in need of a job I should consider one as a race car driver…. Haha!…Wise guy! (**side eye**)
  8. Catching myself before I mistook the dog treats as chocolate covered peanuts, and moments later witnessing my father's reaction after he failed to pay attention, mistook the dog treats as chocolate covered peanuts, and popped a few in his mouth….PRICELESS!!!
  9. Watching the excitement on my parents' faces as their granddog, Bruno, received his gifts from them - a red leather cap and a wool sweater….. Somebody have a grandchild for these people – quickly!!!!
  10. Celebrating my father's birthday by going to an adult content comedy show featuring comedienne, Cheryl Underwood….. Okay, I know I'm an adult, but that felt strange.
I hope you all had a great holiday, but now it's back to the grind…. Come on brain, it's time to shift gears!!!

Sweet Spot

No comments: